Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Pina Colada Zucchini Bread

I love this new, deliciously tropical version of zucchini bread. Originally I was going to forgo the coconut and rum extracts since I didn't have them on hand but luckily Mike was at the store when I realized it and he picked them up for me- and they definitely make the bread!! Even though this uses 3 c. shredded zucchini I still find I have an overabundance of zucchini from our garden so I know I will be making this recipe often and probably freezing some of the loaves (if they can make it to the freezer before being consumed!!) :)

Pina Colada Zucchini Bread

4 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 eggs
1-1/2 cups canola oil
1 teaspoon each coconut, rum and vanilla extracts
3 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup canned crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or chopped pecans (I used pecans, yum!!)

Directions:

Line the bottoms of three greased and floured 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, combine the eggs, oil and extracts. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the zucchini, pineapple and walnuts.
Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Gently remove waxed paper. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).

No comments: