America's Birthday Cake
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup red food coloring (I used one bottle)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk (I used 1 Tbsp. vinegar plus milk to equal 1 c.)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
Directions:In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the food coloring, vinegar and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in orange juice until smooth. Add the blueberries, nutmeg and salt; cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Cool.
In a small bowl, whip cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peak forms. Serve cake with sauce and whipped cream. Yield: 15 servings.
- 1 package (7 ounces) ring macaroni or ditalini (I used elbow macaroni)
- 1 package (16 ounces) coleslaw mix
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped (I only used one onion)
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) whole water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat salad dressing (I used Best Foods Light Mayo)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Directions:Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. Transfer to a large bowl; add the coleslaw mix, onions, celery, cucumber, green pepper and water chestnuts.
In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Yield: 16 servings. **This is actually a "healthy" recipe- a 3/4 c. serving will run you 150 calories, 5 g fat (depending on the salad dressing used) and 2 g fiber