Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Easy Potato-Leek Soup

The last couple trips to the grocery store have caught me buying leeks galore. For some reason it's all about the leeks right now. Tossed into an omelet, used to whip up a Bacon-Leek Tart or as the inspiration for my most recent adventure, Potato-Leek Soup. For some reason every now and then Mike will ask me if what I made came from a recipe, implying that maybe I just threw a bunch of ingredients together. I guess the food looks suspicious. And maybe I did. This version of Potato Leek Soup I most certainly made up as I went but it did in fact turn out pretty tasty and now I have another reason to pick up more leeks on my next trip to the store.

Easy Potato-Leek Soup

1-2 Tblsp. butter
1-2 leeks, sliced (white and light green parts only)
1/2 c. white wine
4-5 medium potatoes, scrubbed and chopped, peels left on (or peeled if nonorganic/preferred)
2 c. broth (I used ham but chicken or veggie would be good too)
2 c. milk
1-1/2 c. corn (canned or frozen)
3/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
Shredded cheddar cheese

In large saucepan, saute leeks in butter over medium heat until tender. Add wine and simmer for a few minutes. Add potatoes, broth and milk to saucepan, cover and allow to gently boil until potatoes are fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat and stir in corn. Add salt and pepper to taste and heat through. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese for topping.

No comments: