Friday, October 29, 2010

Curried Apple Soup

Speaking of Nourishing Traditions, tonight we tried out a new recipe under the Soups section. The verdict: Success. Even for my non-soup-adoring husband. (He partakes but is not thrilled to the core of his very being at the thought of a steamy warm bowl of liquidy goodness like some of us are). Since I have an overabundance of apples I am still trying to work through, (Overabundance: having so many boxes of apples on your front porch drivers-by stop to ring the doorbell and ask the price of the apples I'm selling... my response being a bright red face and embarrassing stammer that I just need to make applesauce and a subsequent phone call to my husband to move the apples to the back deck out of sight of the general public) I was in the mode to utilize those supplies in desperate need of utilization. Hence, Curried Apple Soup. Perfect for Fall, perfect for slightly denting an exhaustive apple supply and perfect for our (mostly) soup-enjoying family. I had made chicken stock the day prior in preparation for this soup. I reserved some of the cooked chicken and served it along side hearty portions of quinoa to round out the meal.

Curried Apple Soup

6 tart apples, peeled and quartered (or not-so-tart, depending on what you have on hand)
4 Tblsp. butter
2 medium onions, peeled and copped
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 tsp. each dry mustard, turmeric, ground cumin and ground coriander
1/4 tsp. each cloves, cinnamon and cayenne
1-1/2 quarts chicken stock
juice of 1 lemon
sea salt
creme fraiche or sour cream (I used plain yogurt)

Saute onions in butter until soft. Stir in spices. Combine onion mixture, apples and stock and simmer until apples are soft. Puree soup with a handheld blender (unless you do not own such a device and then try not to make a mess while you scoop it into a blender and puree in batches). Add lemon juice and season to taste. Ladle into heated bowls and serve with cultured cream. Serves 6.

No comments: