Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ezekiel Bread

As I finished up my prior post I realized I haven't shared my go-to recipe for bread. I haven't bought bread in literally months (last time maybe Sept. of last year?) since
1. I like this recipe/flavor/bread so much
B. It makes four loaves at a time
3. It's healthy and includes real ingredients I know (i.e., flour, honey, wheat germ, etc.) as opposed to most store-bought bread
4. It's more economical than store-bought
and finally
5. I usually give at least one loaf per batch away and I enjoy being able to do that!
I haven't kept track of how often I make bread but I'd guess it's around every 2-3 weeks (give or take a week), depending on how much I give away or how many sandwiches we decide to eat. I freeze the extra loaves in gallon-size freezer bags (after cutting off one end so it fits!). :)

Ezekiel Bread

3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
5 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
1 tablespoon plus 2/3 cup honey, divided
2/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup toasted wheat germ
6 to 8 cups bread flour

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup warm water and 1 tablespoon honey. Add the remaining water and honey, oil, sugar, salt, whole wheat flour, wheat germ and 3 cups bread flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
Punch dough down. Shape into four loaves. Place in 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 loaves (16 slices each)

No comments: