Friday, April 16, 2010

Baked Oatmeal and Broiled Grapefruit

For the most part our family doesn't eat cold cereal (unless it is a bonafide pregnancy craving, which I have had with both of my pregnancies). Cold cereal, while generally sugary and tasty, is expensive and I'm always hungry 2 hours later!! And since Mike is so wonderful to work so hard providing for us I feel it is my joyful obligation to stretch those dollars as far as I can. Enter oatmeal. This hearty whole grain is filling and relatively inexpensive compared to many other breakfast options. Of course, I'm talking about the regular oats getting dressed up fancy; not the variety box of little packets with flavored fruit. Although oats are great with a little peanut butter or cinnamon or molasses mixed in, occasionally I like to make this recipe for Baked Oatmeal. It's sweet but not overly so and a recent indulgence caught us pouring on some fat-free half-and-half needing to be used up; otherwise we just add a little milk.
Broiled grapefruit is a great way to use up some fruit that's right on the end of its shelf life or when you're married to someone who's just not that fond of it to begin with. It works great as a complement to breakfast, a side dish or even a simple dinner dessert. All of our grapefruits have been consumed in this manner as of late.

Baked Oatmeal

3 c. oats
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar (I decreased the sugars to 1/4 c. each on my last batch and it was just a little sweet. Eileigh and I liked it but Mike prefers it sweeter. I think I will be trying honey on my next batch to see how that turns out)
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. vegetable oil (I have successfully substituted 1/2 c. applesauce for this, making it healthier but not quite as deliciously ooey-gooey)
1 c. milk
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
Optional add-ins: chocolate chips, raisins, chopped apples, nuts, etc.

Mix all dry ingredients together. Add oil, milk, eggs and vanilla and optional add-ins. Stir until well mixed. Pour into greased 8x8 pan. Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes until set (middle will be slightly unset). Serve warm in bowl with milk. May double recipe and put in 9x13 pan.

Broiled Grapefruit

2 grapefruit, cut in half
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. butter or margarine

Mix cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle a little on each grapefruit. Dot a little bit of butter on top. Broil 10 minutes (my timing varies; keep an eye on it). Serve warm.

No comments: