Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Cauliflower with Cheese Sauce

Last week I bought a head of cauliflower fully intending for it to sidle up to one of my main dishes. However, due to unforseen circumstances (ok, ok, I forgot) it has remained in my crisper drawer, mocking me and challenging me to use it before I lose it. As I browsed my recipe stash for possible options I discovered this delicious little gem of a recipe. I think it is meant to be a side dish but I cooked up some brown rice and served the cauliflower and cheese sauce over the top- perfection!! Hmm... I just now realized I omitted several things in my rush to get dinner on the table before I had to run to make my pedicure appointment. WELL. I'll let you know what I omitted and then you can just make up your own mind what to include!

Cauliflower with Cheese Sauce

1 large head cauliflower
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (I omitted)
1-1/2 cups milk
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
Paprika (I omitted)
Minced fresh parsley (I omitted)
*Optional: Hot cooked rice to serve with cauliflower and sauce

In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water, cauliflower and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5-15 minutes or until cauliflower is crisp-tender.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and thyme until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese, stirring until melted.
Drain and pat cauliflower dry; place on a serving platter. Top with cheese sauce; sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Cut into wedges. Serves 4-6

3 comments:

Mindy Seybold said...

I have to laugh at this one. It's as classic as "Ccccider!"
Please tell me you remember...

Jenae said...

OH yes, I so remember- I neglected to mention to Mike Le Cauliflower Historie. :) This, however, was a much smaller head and I was on a time crunch to get out the door so MUCH less was consumed. :)

Sarah said...

Definitely going to try this! And the baked oatmeal. And the ezekial bread. And... :D