Saturday, May 1, 2010

Granola for breakfast; Bananas for dessert

Two simple recipes walk into a... kitchen. And that is the start and the end of what could be the world's lamest joke ever. Oookay. It's late and I'm tired. I'll close by saying that we've been munching on this easy, Simple Granola for the last several days for breakfast, snacks, lunch... bedtime noshes... it's oh so good. The Baked Bananas are to DIE for. I threw them in the oven for a Dessert Night get-together we failed to attend after our repeated attempts to leave the house were foiled by (Selah's) diaper explosions and (Eileigh's) no-nap-this-afternoon-related breakdowns. A scoop of vanilla ice cream would be superb with the bananas- not that the bananas need it... just that the bananas are so good they could make even ice cream better. At least, I would imagine- we polished ours off before I could test such a revolutionary theory.

Simple Granola

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
Combine in large mixing bowl:
2 c. whole wheat flour
6 c. rolled oats
1 c. coconut
1 c. wheat germ

Blend together separately:
1/2 c. water
1 c. oil
1 c. honey or corn syrup (I used honey)
2 tsp. vanilla (I was out... so I used 1 tsp. of almond flavoring instead with highly satisfactory results)
1 Tblsp. salt

Add blended liquids to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Spread out on 2 greased cookie sheets and bake one hour until dry and golden. Store in covered containers.

Simple Baked Bananas

4 bananas (I sliced at angles about 1 inch apart for presentation... not that we noticed...)
2 Tblsp. melted butter
2 Tblsp. honey
1/3 c. apple or orange juice (I used pear juice/syrup from a jar of canned pears)
Cinnamon
Sugar

Place bananas in shallow buttered casserole dish. Drizzle with melted butter, honey and juice. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments: